.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Monday, February 11, 2008

For Pitfinder's Interest

For Pitfinder's interest the general gist of my new house and how it is built:
Steel framed with NRG green board as the outside material (essentially rendered styrofoam - instead of being built from brick which holds the heat, it is built to keep out the heat)
Roof - colourbond with insulation directly beneath the roof instead of above the ceiling (prevents heat being trapped in the roof)
full ducted, zoned, reversible airconditioning
5,000L water tank, which is plumbed into my toilet and washing machine because of this it has an automatic filler from the mains water system for if it gets too low - which means I can't use it on my garden as it is considered part of the mains system (and we are on level 6 water restrictions) - as a result I am putting in another tank.
9 foot ceilings

Now for the fun stuff, photos of the disasters - although they are after they have been "fixed" so they're not that super!
THIS IS THE EDGE OF THE BATH, THE HOLE IN THE WALL SHOWS HOW FAR IT FELL:


THE TANK AFTER BEING FIXED - IF YOU CAN SEE THE BOLT GOING INTO IT - THAT'S WHAT SHEERED OFF TO BECOME A FOUNTAIN:


THIS IS NOT WHAT THE ENSUITE SINK HOLE IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE:


IF YOU LOOK YOU CAN SEE WHERE THE MAN WHO CAME TO FIX THE LOCK ON THE DOOR, DIDN'T REALLY UNDERSTAND AND DUG IT OUT SIDEWAYS INSTEAD OF DEEPER, AND THEN FILLED IN THE WOOD HE'D CHIPPED AWAY WITH SOME KIND OF BROWN FILLER


THESE AREN'T BROKEN, I JUST THOUGHT I'D SHOW YOU THE LITTLE ALCOVES THAT JUST NEED A NAKED STATUE IN THEM - I THOUGHT A WHITE ONE WOULD CONTRAST THE DARKER PAINT WELL.

4 Comments:

Blogger pitfinder said...

Cool! Thanks for the pictures!

The bath thing looks like some serious settling. I wish I knew more about the way they build foundations over there. No, don't break out the shovel, I'll see what i can find. :-)

Hmmm, bolts don't shear themselves. I'd guess somebody somewhere along the line really over-tightened it. Can't get good help these days.

I've never seen a sink drain that looks like that. Maybe in a motorhome. I'm gonna have to do some reading, maybe I can find videos somewhere. (always hopeful)

Okay, lock guy was just sloppy. There's no call for that, especially on a newer house. Sometimes on the 100+ year old ones, it takes a little tweaking, maybe.

Would you put in small scale reproductions of classics (without arms and stuff), or something more modern? Or maybe his and hers nudes?

Thanks again for the pics. Now I really wish I could stop by and see your cool new house, and not just because the temperature here is 8 degrees F (about -13C, I think).

:-)

3:13 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

The foundation of the bath isn't the problem, it's the bath itself - because it is ?acrylic (I don't remember) the edges bend out causing an apparent drop (or so I understand. The edges are supposed to be supported with filler to prevent that (or something arather) but I don't think this was done. The sink drain looks like that because the plug is one that's supposed to stay there, and just get pressed down when you need it to be a plug, however the builder took the plug away when we complained it got stuck, and so far hasn't returned a proper replacement. On the nudes, we're sill thinking....

Sounds lovely and cold there, yesterday and the day before here was quite hot, I haven't turned our airconditioner off.

6:57 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Ah Ha! That's what I thought. I haven't found a drain like that, but after looking more closely, I thought it might be missing it's pop-up stopper. That would explain it.

The foundation might not be the cause of the tub thing, it just got me curious how they build 'em there. Do they have to contend with freeze-thaw cycles? What are the soils like? I haven't looked into this yet, I was kind of fascinated by the drain. :-) I have seen a bunch of You-tube clips of how-to home repair shows from that part of the world. Do you have one of these big "Home Hardware" places near you? And the New Zealanders seem a bit sloppy, though I do like they way they do toilets.

Okay, I'm a hopeless nerd about this stuff. :-)

2:38 pm  
Blogger pitfinder said...

I did a little looking and it seems that your foundations are pretty much like ours, depending on climate. I'm kind of disappointed, I was hoping for some cool and different ideas. :-(

Though it looked like you guys are less likely to dig basements than we are, but that could be climate and soil. Up north here, we have to go deep enough to go below the winter frost line that a little bit more concrete and a floor turns out to be some of the cheapest space we can buy. There are some locations that are just too wet for this, though.

3:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home