.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Monday, February 11, 2008

The Flies

In January, I went outside to check on my birds and noticed a _lot_ of flies around their cage (probably over 40) and when I cleaned their cage it made no difference, so I decided to go and buy something to kill the flies with. Matt and I went to bunnings and bought amongst other things to kill flies with a fly trap that was essentially a jar with holes on top and there was a powder you mixed with water to attract and drown the flies. I was dubious about it because as I expressed to Matthew, I didn't want any non-toxic crap, I wanted something that would work! How wrong I was, it worked, so well that I was morbidly fascinated and stood outside watching flies drown. It was supposed to take 24 hours to heat activate, there were over 100 dead flies even before it had reached the 24 hour mark. Here are two pictures (not for the faint hearted) of the flies at under 24 hours and then three days later......

6 Comments:

Blogger pitfinder said...

So, what kind of a sauce do you serve that with?

(ducks head and runs away)

:-)

2:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*shrug* if it works, it works.
Dad used to use something similar (but i wasn't ever really quite as morbidly fascinated as you are :D)

6:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it smell like rotten meat? I think my Dad has one too!!

7:12 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

It does smell like rotten meat, and my new one is three times as full as the one in the photo

9:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so gross, but cool.
:-)

11:45 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

My dad used to use a fly-trap like that too, but I'm not sure what went in it- I thought it was honey or something- maybe it was for fruit flies? Whatever it was, they couldn't get out, and died in huge numbers.

8:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home