.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Petty?

To add to my blacklist of companies I think have treated me like crap, I now add HSBC. I know it's petty, but I hate it when big companies think it's okay to waste my time.

Here is the letter I sent them:
Initially I was cancelling my card because I am cutting back my lines of credit, not because I was unhappy with the service of HSBC. However in attempting to cancel this card I have met with some of the worst service I have experienced in the financial industry. For starters you website says in FAQ that to close my account I should call the 132 152 number. When I called that number they reported that I had to write a letter. So why doesn’t your website just say to write a letter? Why do I have to waste my money by phoning you?

Also when I attempted to complain to the girl on the phone about the fact that I couldn’t cancel my credit card by phone, she was rude, unhelpful and she hung up on me.

It is inconvenient and cumbersome to have to write a letter. Other credit card companies allow you to cancel by phone. If I rang up and said my card was lost or stolen it could be cancelled by phone. I see forcing people to write a letter as a deliberate act of obstruction when people want to end their credit card with you. It is also environmentally unsound.

I assure you, whilst previously were I in a position to require a credit card with you again in the future I would have happily gotten one, that situation has changed considerably. Word of mouth is a powerful thing and has grown ever more powerful with the advances in communication such as the internet, and I assure you providing poor customer service will certainly make many customers as unhappy as I am. I will certainly be quite quick and active to advise against HSBC based on my dealings with your company.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Onya!

5:58 pm  
Blogger Gam said...

hsbc are fuckholes, both here and in the uk. my sis had to deal with them.

6:04 pm  
Blogger pitfinder said...

I don't think it's petty. These idiots aren't going to listen until enough people vote with their feet.

Rock on!

2:01 pm  
Blogger philbert83au said...

A friend of mine racked up over $30k on cards over the last few years and so got a consolidation loan to get a handle on it. The bank (Westpac) gave the loan on the condition that he close the credit cards, though curiously didn't need proof of this. Anyway he dealt with Citybank and Commonwealth who tried everything to have him keep the cards but remained strong. Westpac meanwhile managed to talk him into taking the $10k card down to being a $1k card. Much more manageable but dodgy anyway seeing as they had required otherwise.

Giving feedback to companies is always good - they won't know that things are crapola otherwise.

-Phil (old friend of Sarah's)

9:01 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Thanks for the support everyone! I hope they send me a reply that I can post...

5:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And they've just brought out a new TV ad in the UK on the worth and importance of trees and how they are minimising paper usage.

10:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home