.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

State of Origin

I am hoping for a white wash this year!!!!! That was totally awesome.

I will say no more, but to make this a confusing post, and to contradict my enjoyment of tonights violence, I will leave you with Leunig's take on football

Exerpt from "The Curly Pyjama Letters" by Michael Leunig
:
"Dear Mr Curly,

I'm still a little shaken, having witnessed for the first time, something called a ‘football match’. It was awful. Two opposing teams of men, with great skill and energy, thwarted and violated each other, quite obsessively and shamelessly in full view of a large crowd for more than one and a half hours.

Such greed and desperate snatching I've never seen before. Such injury, sadism, and sabotage perpetuated in the cause of advantage over one's fellows. I saw not the slightest kindness or act of good faith pass between the teams.

Very interestingly, the crowd was utterly approving of it all this trouncing and hurting and deceiving - in fact, it seemed to thrive on it and became radiant when the spectacle was most violent …..

….. Anyway, the duck had a terrible day, but as usual, took the spectacle of human madness and sickness in its stride, or should I say, “in its waddle”. As we know, ducks don't stride; nor are they strident!

Good wishes dear friend.

Yours truly and in a waddling spirit,
Vasco Pyjama."

10 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

WHITEWASH, WHITEWASH, WHITEWASH!!

Oh, happy days!

And on the Leunig front, at least the violating seems to be contained to shoulder barging and the occasional biff. The days of the dirty fingers seem to be behind us (no pun intended) :) Can anyone remember who that was? Somewhere in the back of my head "The Man" seems to come to mind...

11:45 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Hopoate.
I really hope it's a whitewash!

7:45 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Okay, which "football" is this?

Is this the soccer kind, the rugby kind, or the brutal armored version we have?

1:35 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

State of Origin is Rugby League, but it is more than just that. Every year, for these three games, QLD and NSW pick people originally from their state, to play in the team. So there might be people who usually play in the same team during the rest of the year, fighting against each other.

At the first ever game, they said it would never work, people wouldn't go hard out against people who were normally their team mates, however the first thing Beetson (QLD player) did was to punch his normally fellow Parramatta team-mate Michael Cronin.

It is the most emotionally charged sporting event of the year in Australia - IMHO. Personally, it's the only one I watch.

NSW & QLD are hugely competitive against each other.

HOWEVER - the Leunig quote is most likely about that other kind of silly gay football that they play in Melbourne because he's from Melbourne - I think it's called AFL.

5:45 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Oh, part of the reason it's so emotionally charged is because every year NSW cheats, and the referees seem to help them, so when we win it's against all odds.

5:46 pm  
Blogger Margie said...

And of course we do win. Year after year. Because we rock and they're cockroaches. :)

7:45 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

Remember when there used to be Alfie ads with echidnas and cockroaches?

Man, i haven't seen a game in ages. :( i tried to tune in shortly last night and it was the mid-time break. *pleh*

9:42 pm  
Blogger timmar said...

Would you beleive that I'm still alive O.o

Yes, crazy but true. I didn't just pass away and even more astounding, I saw our awesome Origin wins :D

My blog is dead, deeeead, deeeeeeeead. But i'll still comment here occasionally when I remember and i'm still in the middle of setting up my own website for posting stuff.

Promise I didn't forget about you though and the Tinny trip sounds most awesome!

*huggles*

10:08 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Glad to hear your not dead like your blog:)

7:44 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Is there face-painting involved?

After game riots like the Brits?


(kidding around)
:-)

1:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home