.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Maiden Voyage

Yesterday we took the tinny for it's maiden voyage. We launched it in the Eudlo and motored out on to Maroochy River. We ignored the water that was coming in as it was a pretty slow leak, and even when we were on the water for hours, we didn't run into any trouble with it. Unfortunately I was asked to get out the map a little too late and we promptly ran into a sandbar, and the good news is that the paddles work quite well. The boys (Matt and his dad) were able to paddle us (Matt's mum and myself) off the sandbar as we ate fresh blueberry muffins and sipped our Monk's pear tea. It was quite peaceful without the motor on. After taking the boat for a run (and me occasionally driving in circles because I had some tiny steering issues), we anchored and fished for a little while. I caught a few small fish that all had to be thrown back. The highlight for me was when I unhooked my flathead from my hook and wondered why it was still dangling there in mid air when the hook was out - which was when I noticed that the blood worm had it's pincers in the lip of the fish and was holding it there! Now that's a good worm!!! We did a mad chase for a while after a swimmer crab that was dancing around the water around the boat just out of arms reach mocking us, but unfortunately it eventially just swam in deep. The rain eventually got a little too heavy for comfort and we headed to shore. I think it was a lovely maiden voyage in our tinny:)

11 Comments:

Blogger Zilfin said...

Just how small was that flathead? Or how big was the worm? ;)

10:01 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

It freaked me out, but that's why Matt won't bait his own hooks if I buy worms - they can really bite you! The flathead was between 25 - 30cm I think, and the worm, well that's tricky because there was only about an 1 - 2 inches of it on my hook because i break them up.

10:11 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

um... kinda scared to ask, but did you happen to have a mouth end attached to your hook which is how it bit the fish, or do those worms have teeth throughout their body? :|

10:13 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

You'll be happy to know, I had the mouth end of the worm attached to my hook. They only have one set of pincers - but they're black and mean looking when they come out trying to get you!

10:19 pm  
Blogger Rach said...

You know, i never liked worms before. I like them even less.
(Except dr worm)

11:11 pm  
Blogger pitfinder said...

I've always thought of Australia as kind of a rough and tumble country, but even the *worms* will kick my ass?

:-)

11:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a delightful day that sounds! :)

12:46 am  
Blogger geoffandel said...

I must confess to being afraid of those worms - I'm always getting Geoff to set them up on the hook for me!

The boat sounds fun. :-)

8:18 pm  
Blogger geoffandel said...

Oh, and your trip up north sounded like fun. I liked the photos. Was there any reason we couldn't comment on that post?

8:20 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Oops, didn't realise that had happened, was just an accident. have fixed it but I suspect i'm a little late:)

10:33 pm  
Blogger marvin said...

very nice, your very own tinnie. a perfect asset living on the sunshine coast. i'm sure you'll get lots of good use from it.

4:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home