.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

My Wollemi Pine


Well there was the queensland home garden expo in Nambour this weekend, so Matt and I walke to the showgrounds to have a look around. Grant's parents have recently started a Wollemi Pine Nursery, and they had a fantastic display there, so we bought ourselves a Wollemi Pine. For those unfamiliar it is one of the most prehistoric trees about the place (or something like that). Basically it had been found in the fossil record and no one knew it still existed, until a little while ago it was found out near Sydney (or something like that - I'm not making any real attempt to keep this accurate).

Apart from that we wondered about, every so often returning to the man who was making wood fired pizza and having another woodfired pizza (who would have thought the apple ones would be so yummy?). There was a bird section, and now the types of handtamed birds i would like to own have expanded to include the dusky lorikeet and some kind of moustached parrot (who can recall names). This is making my handtamed birds dream more and more expensive (when you count in the african grey, the eclectus, the sun conure, the quaker parrot etc).

We watched them make a no dig garden, they made it seem a lot harder then it really is - We've made no dig gardens a few times, and it was never that tricky and everything grew wonderfully in it. We also went to a talk on grafting or something like that (I was sleepy, so a lot of it went over my head). The man who gave it was talking about how his nursery grafted a tomato plant to potatoes and you could by them and after you'd gotten all the tomatoes, you dug up the roots and had potatoes - apparently didn't take off that wel in the consumer market - but it sounds fantastic to me - I don't know that they're particularly available, which is sad. They had all those "fruit salad" trees where they have 5 fruits growing on the same tree, but they're so expensive!

I had a lovely dinner at one of our friend's houses last night, and as a result I'm quite sleepy, so I think that's all there is from me. I'm sure there were plenty of other interesting things today, but my mind has gone blank.

5 Comments:

Blogger marvin said...

that's really cool, i got my own wollemi too, drove it all the way out here and is now waiting to be put in a nice pot.

how cool is a tomato/potato plant!!? very nice idea.

and speaking of pizzas, thanks again for dinner the other night. it was great to catch up and chat and see your new place. will drop by again.

8:58 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

They're awesome sounding plants al round!
V impressed with your Wollemi Pine. I was too scared to buy one in case I killed it last year. ;)
Potato/tomato plant sounds great!
Fruit salad tree does sound a tad over board tho (and again, i'd kill it)

hope the rest of your weekend was good too!

4:34 pm  
Blogger Rach said...

sounds awesome - but i suspect most ppl know by now that i CANNOT keep plants alive - so i'll just have to admire them in everyone elses gardens :)

10:14 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Does it need pre-historic water?

:-)

11:47 am  
Blogger Jade said...

I think the Wollemi was found somewhere around here in the mountains wasn't it?

Apple pizza sounds yummy!

2:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home