.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Thanks

Big thanks to Suze:) you're awesome. I got all the cinnamony goodness today and it made my day:) There is nothing better then a parcel.

Have seen some really interesting cases at work lately, unfortunately "interesting" in medical terms almost always correlates to sad. Children are tricky. They apparently can have really high pain thresholds which is quite deceiving. You see you might think a child who says they have "a small headache" hasn't really got a major head injury, but when you do a CT face, you might discover that they have multiple fractures of their orbit, as well as a fracture beneath their laceration (therefore an open skull fracture), as well as air inside their skull (ie pneumocranium). Then you have to transfer them to another hospital.

Or you might think that an old lady with really severe abdominal pain and a delirium looks sick and probably has a surgical abdomen, but isn't that sick. Then when you get your tests back you realise she has an ischaemic gut (with a pH of 7.16) and is not a candidate for surgery and isn't going to make it.

Today I met this sweet 98yr old man with no previous medical history who probably had a #NOF. He was quite funny. When I asked him why he was on valium (the only medication he took) he said "that's that small tablet that they give to try and keep me quiet" . To think, I sighed when I picked up the chart thinking "oh dear, this will take forever, he's older", but he was one of the best patients of the day. You never can tell.

Saw a dislocated patella today as well, that looked really, really painful. Bones in the wrong place, are very painful, but cool to look at. I can't help it, it's fascinating staring at a knee that's totally the wrong shape.

Anyway, must go take a relaxing candlelit bath, as I am weary. Hope everyone is having fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger pitfinder said...

It's rapidly becoming Halloween, so I'm mostly trying to avoid the insanity. Looks like people there are a bit more calm about it.
There's a University the next State north of here where Halloween is pretty much an organized riot. Stabbings, alcohol poisoning, fist fights, vandalism, all that.

Even in quieter towns, there will still be pumpkin smashing, soaping of windows, damage to cars, maybe some broken windows. Not exactly my idea of a fun holiday.

Oh, and did I mention the enormous amounts of candy that little kids will collect from their neighbors and eat as fast as parents will allow?

What happened to putting on a costume, acting silly, and everybody goes home safely?





xokzuxzb
This thing really is out to get me. 2Xs and 2Zs? Come on.

1:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of love Bec!!!

9:57 am  
Blogger appletopping said...

*hugs* Sad cases can get you down. :( I remember one case of a woman with breast cancer who had a fever and then a stroke coz she had brain mets. Her partner was so caring, and trying so hard to get her home with him, but she died so awfully in hospital.

I hate the "interesting" cases.

3:10 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Sounds like a tough stretch at work... I guess the 'interesting' cases are more easily looked at in a text book, where you're less confronted by the fact that somebody's grandma/grandpa/uncle/child has their life under threat from said 'interesting' condition.

9:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home