.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Helicopter

Well on Thursday before our guests left we took a drive down The Great Ocean Road. It was quite a long trip to try and do in one day! However, the best part was we went on a helicopter in order to see the twelve apostles and some of the other rocks:) It's the first time I've ever been on a helicopter, and it was fantastic:) It is certainly a great way to see that part of the coast. Thanks a lot to Aunty D:)

On the way home we stopped at some rockpools again, and I was fairly determined that I was going to pick up a starfish, just for a moment, before I put it back in. However Matt felt that as they had eight legs they might be octopus. Now I tried to point out that octopus look quite different and that starfish can have quite a number of different numbers of legs, but as I am not a marine biologist, I didn't have a lot to back it up with. So I caved and I did not play with the starfish (it would really have sucked to be wrong). I have since found photos identifying the particular starfish on the web. It seems quite benign, and it generally has eight legs. I don't quite remember it's name now.

Last night I worked night shift, and I will be doing so for the rest of this week. That means I may not post, or I may post complete silliness. It's always hard to tell exactly which way it will swing.

Here is something I wrote while we were driving along the great ocean road:
Great Ocean Road
I stared out the window
And I saw the ocean
Rushing to the edge of the earth
And pulling at the sky
To keep it taut above us
Like a peg holding a tent fly

I stared out the window
And I saw sand
Compressed by the weight of time
And forming towers
Multicoloured, multilayered towers
That interrupted an ocean blue

I stared out the window
And saw the shiny, curved hubcap of a truck
Reflecting a perfect distortion of my car
Twisting, twirling, shiny, spinning
Tiny and complete
But I didn't see me in it

5 Comments:

Blogger marvin said...

that's so awesome, now i'm just gonna have to do that trip one day too

6:09 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

*hugs* all the best for nights (pleh, horrible stuff)

your trip sounded like fun tho. :)

6:39 pm  
Blogger pitfinder said...

I think I've already hinted that I don't get most poetry, but I like this one! I guess it has imagery that fits in my head.

6:12 am  
Blogger Jade said...

I got trapped in a deep rockpool once by a blue ringed octopus...it was barring my only way out the pool and looking malevolent. Although it was probably not meaning to... Luckily a passing person stopped and gently moved him away with a stick, it darted over towards me and I ran as fast as I could through waist deep water, which wasn't fast at all, and made my escape.

8:25 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

I'm glad you got away from the blue ringed octopus, they are beautiful and scary! I am glad a kindly person saved you. The main difference between a starfish and an octopus is that starfish simply don't have a head on them the way an octopus does. Silly Matthew.

Pitfinder, glad you're enjoying some poetry:) It's good to stretch the soul:)

2:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home