.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Tall Stories

Well the other day Matt and I went to Werribee Zoo and did the Tall Order tour (which was a birthday present to me). This meant we got to go and see where the giraffe's lived and they called them over and they fed them very close to us. They call them over by driving in front of them with a ute full of hay and making them chase it. Here are some photos of the trip to the zoo. Zoos can be sad because there are all these beautiful animals that are in cages, but then you think about animals such as the Przewalski horse, which was extinct in the wild but the zoos made a breeding program and have reintroduced them to the wild. So zoos can play a rather important part in conservation as well as education (the best way to conservation is education in my opinion). Anyway, enough rambling on in silliness, here are some photos:





Anyway, I love Cheetahs, and they were fed, so they did stuff, which was good. One of my favourite books is the true story of Pippa, a cheetah who was brought up by humans when she was little, and then reintroduced to the wild.

Today at work somebody had dislocated their middle finger at the proximal IP joint. The tip of their finger went white and numb before it started to go purple - I guess the blood supply was interrupted. The xray looked very cool (click here to see an xray on the web that's similar), but even more satisfying was after I had put a ring block in to anaesthetise the finger, I got to pop it back into place. It made a very satisfying clicking noise, and then he could bend his finger again, and after awhile, the tip of his finger went pink again. It was the favourite part of my day.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

I love the giraffe photo...you captured his stalkyness so well.

11:24 pm  
Blogger pitfinder said...

That x-ray looks decidedly...uncomfortable.
I've got a book called Medicine for Mountaineering and I stopped reading it after the third or fourth thing that looked like I'd rather have it than have to treat it.

Flail Chest comes to mind.

4:50 am  
Blogger marvin said...

maybe that 3 eared giraffe could use some of your skills to relocate his missing ear too!

8:59 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

I didn't notice that the giraffe had an ear tucked away till Marvin said something. I have to agree with Becky, I'd rather not have all the bad things!

4:34 pm  
Blogger Rach said...

Thankfully, having just looked at the anatomy of the upper limb, i could work out what IP stood for, even though i did have to think about it for a minute - see, I am learning things!
Love the photos

1:52 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great photos :)

Pity there are no before and after pics of your patient's finger!

6:48 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

But there are before and after xrays... In the computer at work. I should have taken my memory stick in and downloaded them - when you do that it de-identifies them and so they're anonymous.

8:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home