.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Swimming in Cider

Woops, I just had a bit of a cider accident that resulted in me sitting crosslegged in a rather large puddle of cider. Unlike what it sounds like, I wasn't even drinking. Matt and I were bottling our latest home brew (our should be interpreted to mean that it belongs to both of us, not that I made it) and he was filling the bottles (glass bottles) and I was banging on the lids. If you've never done that, it means you get the metal lid on top of the glass, and hold this thing that holds it in place and you hammer the end of it until the lid is firmly on. Apparently I was hitting a little too hard, because as I banged with a hammer on the top of the cider bottle, I suddenly was sitting in a puddle and the side of the bottle seemed to have broken away.... Matt was distressed because he seemed to think breaking glass bottles with hammers is a dangerous activity. I am now distressed because at the end of bottling all our cider, we now have the horrible task of picking up all the junk on the floor and vacuuming and washing the floors. Not that I particularly mind this task, but we've already sterilised (yes I mean it, cleaning removing all items from the bench, and sterilising) the kitchen today (because Matt is particularly paranoid about keeping germs out of his homebrew) and I'm kind of over cleaning. Anyway... I'm just procrastinating. I've done my idea of cleaning which is to make piles on the floor, you know the kind - this is for the rubbish, this is for the wash, this belongs in the kitchen, this belongs in the bathroom. Now Matt's taking the piles to where they belong.

Well I better go help him *sigh*

10 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

Poor Bec :(
And the poor cider, lost forever :(
And that is *way* too much cleaning for one day!

5:22 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

hrm... poor bec's piles. ;)

hope that they weren't developed while sitting on the cold kitchen floor!

10:06 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Thank you Rachem.... Sally, you know what I meant!

10:30 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

"Sitting in Cider" is kind of a let down after the idea that you might have actually been swimming in a vat of the stuff, possibly as a new cure for that illness you've had. :-)

Careful with that glass, I have the scars.

11:23 am  
Blogger Jade said...

Ooo, home brew! Yummy. Dean and I used to brew our own beer so I know that process well...just pray that they dont explode! That happened to a friend of mine, and unfortunately he'd stowed the bottles under his bed! Nasty way to wake up...

11:54 am  
Blogger appletopping said...

hrm... then Bec better not store them under a guest bed in Nambour... A tad too warm, methinks.

12:47 pm  
Blogger Margie said...

I'm going to go right ahead and assume Sally was talking about Nambour being to warm, and that the warmness wasn't under the guest bed in particular.

8:14 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

*blush*

yep, i did mean nambour... Hope there wasn't *too* much confusion about the issue! I'm innocent of all unclean thoughts! ;)

9:35 am  
Blogger geoffandel said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only person in this world that likes cider. Friends of ours (who brew beer regularly) made fun of me once for liking cider. :-)

Geoff has a good home brew explosion story. They heard a loud bang one night, and thought someone had broken in. Turns out a few bottles had exploded under the house! They were in a styrofoam box and the shards of glass formed a perfect circle in the perimeter. Definitely a good thing no one was down there at the time! :-)

1:44 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

I am sorry, perhaps swimming in cider would have cured my cold, but instead I am having sashimi and sushi as often as possible and killing myself with wasabi - everytime I have wasabi I can breathe through my nose, and for that 10 minutes the world seems beautiful again.

So far we haven't added exploding bottles to our repertoire of disasters.... However we stow our bottles in a plastic container with a picnic blanket over the top of them...

I'll try not to store the bottles under the guest bed in Nambour:)

2:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home