.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Lamb shanks in orange sauce


I have woken up after night duty to find the house smells like you could just eat the air. I'm suddenly starving. Matthew has started cooking tonight's dinner already. Lamb shanks in orange sauce mmmmm. Here is the recipe for the interested:

Lamb Shanks in Orange Sauce
Ingredients:
1 tabsp oil
6 frenched lamb shanks (we're not having that many seeing as it's just the two of us)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
strips of zest from 1 orange
250ml orange juice (we had oranges so we have freshly juiced orange juice)
375 mL beef stock (we made beef stock the other day with the meat for our chilli beef - very rich, concentrated stock - yum)
425g can chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon thyme (recipe says dried, but we have fresh thyme)
salt and pepper
mashed potato to serve on
instructions
heat oil in casserole dish or pan over a medium to high heat, brown lamb shanks, remove from pan.
Reduce heat to medium, add onions and garlic and cook for about 2 mins. Add orange zest, orange juice, stock, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring slowly to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, then return shanks to the pan. Cover and cook for 2-2.5 hours until meat is tender. Alternatively, cover and place casserole dish in 180C oven and cook for 2 - 2.5 hours.
For a thicker sauce, remove shanks from the pan, bring the sauce slowly to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until reduced by about 1/3. Serve with mashed potato.
-----

Honestly the sauce smells so good I just want to go into the kitchen and drink it! Matthew has made it clear such an action would be frowned upon. I really, really love food:)

Thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes, and to Rachem - Happy Birthday to you too:)

The photo is a picture of the picture of the lamb shanks as it appears in the recipe book:)

4 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

I feel sad that I never got to eat those lamb shanks - I love lamb shanks. Ours were very yummy but I got very very full and couldn't eat all my mashed potato

8:00 pm  
Blogger geoffandel said...

Happy Birthday Bec. :-)

9:29 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Happy Birthday from me too, though I fear I'm a little later than the rest. (I've never been part of the in crowd.)

I don't see any indication of which birthday this is. :-)
Is that going to be a habit from here forward?

12:17 pm  
Blogger Jade said...

Ooooo, Happy Birthday!

4:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home