.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Diseased

Yesterday I felt really, really exhausted all day. I could barely think. The med student asked me if I was sick and I said no. I was wrong. I got home yesterday evening, and my sinuses almost instantly clogged up and I felt like I'd had a few glasses of wine (which I had not!). I felt drowsy and flat. I had a cold and flu tablet before going to bed and hoped I'd be okay today. I woke up today, very reluctantly. I went and sat on the couch in front of the heater feeling sorry for myself and the fact that I had to go to work. Slowly, I pulled myself together and managed to get dressed for work. I downed some more cold and flu tablets and went to work. At work I felt kind of dizzy and a little bit out of it... This may be from my illness or the cold and flu tablets, I'm not sure. I was a bit disorganised, and it was slightly unfortunate that for the first time since I've been there, the medical director decided he wanted to do a ward round with me (even though he's not O&G). I made a slight fool of myself and then tried to explain that it was because I was drugged up with cold and flu tablets, but I'm not sure if that really helped. I started to think that I might go home a little early (it was only a 4hour shift and I was already 3hours into it). I went and talked to all the people on the ward, and I was talking to the paeds people about a neonate I was worried about when I realised something...... I'd forgotten to wear a bra to work (this was a personal discovery that I achieved quietly without saying anything). I think that's when I really realised I wasn't competent to treat people's medical problems today. I didn't even manage to dress myself this morning! It's not quite as bad as it sounds, as I did have a singlet on under my shirt, but I felt very, very self conscious and embarrassed. I started to worry that if the medical director noticed, he probably thinks I am not only stupid, blonde and vague, but some kind of hairy non bra wearing person also. I proceeded to go to my car and I hopped in the car and started driving out of the car park. Which is when the door of my car swung open because I'd forgotten to shut it when I hopped in the car.... I started to have some serious doubts about driving the 40 minute drive home at this point, because it seemed I hadn't been lying when I told someone earlier that I thought my brain may have been replaced with cotton wool. The good news is I have made it safely home, where I think I will stay put and try not to talk to any important people, until my brain returns from wherever it is visiting.

8 Comments:

Blogger timmar said...

Awwww, that's terrible! :( *hugs you better!*

That sounds like one of the days i had at CSIRO..... I felt so crap, drowsy and disorganised. AND to top it all off we had a power spike I didn't shut the furnace off in time (we're talking like 4 seconds after the surge) and it went BOOM! $750,000 furnace kinda dead and me going *beeeeep* both heart rate and the censoring for the words ocming out of my mouth.

Annnyway, get well soon!

3:51 pm  
Blogger marvin said...

that kind of reminds me of the other day when i got sick... except i was not concerned when i failed to notice that i did not wear a bra :) hope you get better soon.

4:02 pm  
Blogger Rach said...

oh, poor bec :( hope you feel better soon!!

6:21 pm  
Blogger Jade said...

Oh Bec, you do make me giggle, I know it's not very nice to laugh at other peoples misfortunes but you're just so damn funny when you write about them! Hope you're feeling better soon sweets...

7:57 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

*hugs*

you can call me! i won't say i'm important. :)

oooh! maybe you're pregnant and have that placenta brain thing. :)

8:54 pm  
Blogger Margie said...

LOL! I'm sorry you're sick, but glad you did it in such an entertaining way :D Get better soon and don't go trying to mend other people when you can't see them straight. As a non-doctor that scares the bejeezers outta me.

5:09 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Well I'm glad people were entertained... I'm just hoping no one at work noticed the bra thing... Otherwise I'll be one of those doctors with a wierd reputation (like this surgeon at redlands who didn't wear underwear and she used to get changed in the change rooms and just leave her soggy scrubs on the floor *icky*)

11:31 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

"This is your brain calling, I'm not coming back until I can fold a roadmap."
:-)

I hate being sick. I'd rather get really sick for a day or two than one of those things you have to walk around with for seven to ten days.
Hope you get better soon.

All's well here, except for the hot weather. Sometimes those characters do things that catch me unprepared and draw me in, altering my mood. I had a Choo and Silver moment that put me in a more serious frame of mind last night. I guess that's why I do it.

No words tonight, but there should be some over the weekend.

12:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home