.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Good food, Labour bus

Yesterday, Matthew woke me up at 1pm because Karen and Matthew were thinking of going to the Yarra Valley. So that's what we did. I slept in the backseat of the car, and we drove to the Yarra Valley and went to De Bortoli winery. However, I did have to go to work that night, which did somewhat impede my winery experience, and automatically made me the DD. However I did sip the wines a little, especially when Matt and Karen went for the sticky experience (which involved trying their Noble one, a young port, a 21 year old port, a muscat and the black noble - I think). I also did some cheese tasting, of which I really only enjoyed the soft goat cheese marinated in olive oil. I usually enjoy mature cheeses, but rather than having that sharp taste they had more of a "what kind of vomit is that" taste.

Next we decided to go for a drive through the Dandenong ranges. This seemed like a particularly good idea as I work at the bottom of the Dandenongs and I've never been there. So we went for a touristy drive, which we ended at Credo. Credo is a little restaurant in the Dandenongs, with an excellent menu and very delicious food. We sat at a little table a few metres from the blazing fire. Karen and I ordered the grilled swordfish with dill butter. It came on a bed of slow-roasted eggplant and capsicum. YUMMM. More delicious was what Matthew ordered.... Grilled Kangaroo fillets on a bed of mashed sweet potato with a red wine jus. (these were both from the specials menu, which meant I couldn't go get the official description from the Credo website).

I was pretty full after that, but dessert was ordered.... Who knew I could enjoy apple strudel that much - the pastry was just the perfect thickness and crispiness and freshness. I just can't expain how good it was. We also shared a Chocolate and raspberry bread and butter pudding, which was also utterly delicious but very very rich!

Following the meal something rather depressing occurred. I was dropped at work. Work was fine (just little mindless jobs), until 5am. I'm fairly sure someone must be running a bus service to the delivery suite - why else would everyone arrive at once? Four patients arrived (on top of the two we already had going) - two primips (women who haven't had a baby before) with SROM (spontaneous rupture of membranes), not doing too much; two multis (women who have had babies before) on the verge of delivery (which is better then the night before when we had a lady brought in by ambulance with "baby born at home" - she must have missed the bus). Now between the three midwives and myself, we were quite outnumbered... Then we had the two multis and one of the earlier ladies about to deliver, at the same time... The two multis delivered consecutively - I had to run between them (the other lady wasn't really as on the verge as believed). Eventually after much to do (including a semi-ward round with a consultant for his two patients), we were able to try and get back to the two SROMs (one of whom had been there for maybe 1-2 hours without getting any admission obs) by which point it was almost time for the day staff to arrive. I only got one sorted before the day team arrived. I'd seen the other one and had written up an admission, but didn't have a plan yet as I couldn't find the midwife who had assessed her to find out what was happening. I hate handing jobs on - it makes me feel so guilty! Anyway, I was just happy we managed to have people in the room for the deliveries.

I know recently I've had a lot of posts about my work, and I will try to cut the boring medical stories in the future. I just needed an outlet while I was on nights, hopefully it will stop now that I'm not on nights.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

We understand that you need an outlet for your work frustrations - particulay since we aren't there to have coffee with you and share them in real time. I like updates :)
And i'm glad you don't have to work nights for a little now :)

7:42 pm  
Blogger geoffandel said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog the other day, Bec. I enjoy reading yours too. From reading your insights into your shifts, I have so much admiration for what you guys do... keep up the great work. :-) -El

9:12 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Hey, who said your medical posts were boring? I've never been a doctor and rarely ever any sort of patient, so it's interesting to get a glimpse from the other side of the stethoscope.

11:58 am  
Blogger Jade said...

Sleep for Bec! Excellent!

6:16 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Thanks everyone, haven't been online much - slept the rest of the week away (and went out with Karen and Matt). Unfortunately had to get out of bed today because in a moment of stupidity I signed myself up for an implanon training session today. Silly Bec.

9:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home