.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Cheap, healthy, yummy

Well I had a late breakfast, so I didn't bother with lunch, so we're having an early tea. Making a lentil and sweet potato soup. It's sort of a hybrid recipe that we made up last week. It is very cheap to make, it seems reasonably healthy and it tastes very yummy.

Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
Ingredients:
1 tomato
1 onion
1 chilli (dried or fresh)
1 sweet potato
1 can of lentils (or if you're not impatient you could soak dried lentils)
1/4 teaspoon of dried turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
crushed cumin to taste (but a generous amount recommended
coriander to garnish (if you can be bothered going out to the garden to get it)
beef stock (we had homemade beef stock in our freezer so it's what we used, but you could use vege stock if you were inclined that way) - we added 3 cups of beef stock and 1 cup of water. If too much evaporates off, I just add in a bit more boiling water as I go.

Basically I just cook the onion till it's soft, add in the tomato and chilli, cook it a bit longer, then add pretty much everything else (starting with the stock) except the coriander. I tend to adjust the cumin as I go, adding more when it's obvious how much it needs. And I just simmer it until it seems done. It makes maybe 4 bowls of soup depending how big a serve you want.

The first time we had it we made our bastardised version of garlic naan bread with it (which means we made pizza dough, but flattened it out thin and fried it with garlic and oil on some pancake pans). Tonight we're being lazy and having bake at home bread rolls with it.

My music is on random and it just started playing "Dance 10, looks 3" from A Chorus Line and now I know I'm going to be walking around the house singing "tits and arse, bought myself a fancy pair" for days *sigh* It's okay around the house, but sometimes I find myself humming/singing some fairly random music when I'm at work, and it's a bit worrying!

I think my soup is finished, I'm going to have to go and eat:) yummy!

5 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

Well it was very yummy, but what was yummier was the chocolate soufle Matthew made for dessert:) Yum. I love it when he makes impromptu desserts.

10:16 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

i love the way your impromptu desserts sound like so much effort to me... :|

11:06 am  
Blogger pitfinder said...

When I saw this title I thought, "Hey, I used to date her!" :-)

Glad to have you back online!

12:33 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

In which case I'm glad i forgot to put "easy" in the title:)

1:07 pm  
Blogger Jade said...

Lol!! Now Im imagining you walking around the wards singing tits and arse!! That'll brighten up the patients day!

8:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home