.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Not Forgotten

I have many friends whom I haven't spoken to in a long time. Somehow with the passage of time, we've let things slide. But they're not forgotten. These friends I think of often, longingly, wishfully, wondering. I long to see them again, to regain what we've allowed to slide. I wish that I could rebuild all the bridges that we didn't burn, we simply neglected. And I wonder where they are and what they're doing. In fact I often spend long periods of time thinking on these things and these people. None of the people are forgotten, each friendship is a treasured memory to me that I'm forever grateful for, even if now, I don't know where they are.

Earlier this evening I was talking to Matt and my mother in law about one such person. Melanie. Melanie was my first best friend. The first friend I can really remember. I grew up with her and her family. My fondest childhood memories involve her and her family (especially Grandma G). I remember climbing mulberry trees and popping warm juicy mulberries in our mouths at an astounding rate, as we tried desperately to eat them before her mum could pick them and make them into mulberry pie. I remember green ants biting us as we sat in the mulberry tree. I remember staying at her grandma's house on magnetic island. I remember going to the beach and catching crabs and bringing them back to the house. I remember the taste of purple hubba-bubba as we ate so much of it at the island (and my mum didn't let me have bubble gum normally). Whenever I smell purple hubba-bubba I am transported to magnetic island and being small again. Sometimes I buy purple hubba-bubba and chew it just for that effect. I remember walking (in our sandshoes) on the reef at low tide and I can remember a man showing us what we thought was a rock until he poked it with a shell and it darted away - a stone fish. I can remember us being to afraid to jump back to the piece of reef we'd jumped from because toad fish were circling the reef we were on. We were always together. When I left Townsville we wrote letter upon letter to each other. For years and years and years. As time went on we both got busy, got degrees, got married, and we just didn't keep in as close contact, until now, when I'm not sure I even have her number or address anymore.

Anyway earlier this evening I was remembering the one and only time I have eaten choko. It was when I was at Melanie's for dinner. I hate choko it turns out. With passion. After reminiscing about choko for 30 minutes this evening, my mum called. Melanie had a baby today, I found this out moments after having a large conversation with Matt and his mum about my choko experience. Congratulations Mel!!! I wish I could call and say hello. I wish I could turn back the hands of time and write more letters. I wish I could see you now, a mother.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

But you can! Neglected bridges dont need to be rebuilt, they just need a few touch ups here and there. I bet once you rang her it would all still be there.

7:57 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

I hope so. I have left a message on her parents answering machine asking them to call me and tell me what hospital she is at..... So hopefully I will get a chance to say hello.

9:56 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

I don't have anything constructive to add, but that was a beautiful post :)

4:41 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Thanks everyone. After I didn't hear from her parents I started ringing hospitals in Townsville randomly (how many can there really be after all!) and hit gold at the first one. So I did have a quick catch up with her and it was good to hear her voice and let her know that I'm still thinking of her.

7:27 pm  
Blogger timmar said...

How apt the title of the piece that I stumble into after my brief hiatus.

Glad to hear however, that your friend is well and that you got to catch up with her. All's well that ends well, nyet?

Anyway, as always, your poking, prodding and general beccleness has initiated yet another brief foray into the the exciting world of blogging. So comes my latest invention, a large, telling, noteworthy and slightly interesting blog piece from yours truly.

Oh, I can tell, you sit there, barely able to contain the excitement as you read this, wondering, what has tim emerged from his shell/cave/parents basement which looks remarkably like a carboard version of the death star control room to weave, create and append to his blog.

Well, wait no longer, for I have provided you with only the best, the greatest culinary and delectable piece of literature since edible paper. So go forth and read of your own risk, for who am I but a scribe, writing that which is long winded, way to englishable and very very very very very very *ywans* boring :)

*hugs and (kisses) so that mr bec can't see them obviously, *taps nose* brackets hide everything from the deranged psycopathic and jealous husbands ;p*

9:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home