.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Monday, August 02, 2010

sewing project (or one woman's journey in raising the next generation of deeply psychologically scarred children)

I blame sleep deprivation, an ear infection and hormones. You know how one day you get a kind of weird idea in your head about how to solve a problem, and it seems really really reasonable, up until you've actually done it? Well if you read on, I think you'll see how easily such a thing could happen.

Xander is now 12 months old, he is still breast feeding which is fine, what is starting to be a little annoying is him feeling that he should sleep on his side with my breast between his hands, even if he's not actually breastfeeding (in fact he might have the dummy in his mouth, but cry until he has a breast between his hands to cuddle). Slightly more uncomfortable if we are not at home. I remembered that there was this person who made plush toys on the internet and that they made a plush breast to help weaning (found it years ago, just had a quick look and I can only see these freaky japanese toys that are breasts), I started to consider buying one. Then I thought about how Xander is actually not overly fond of furry things (oh how wrong it's all starting to sound already). I thought how it would be convenient to have something that I could slip into his hands instead of, well, me. Something that felt a little more like skin than a furry toy. I thought maybe satin and I thought how hard could it be....

After another week when the thought occurred to me again, I thought how seeing as he also likes to hold fingers, maybe the breast should have little finger like projections coming out the non nipple side (just two, I didn't want it to be tricky seeing as I can't really sew). So today I went to the shops and bought some silk satin materially stuff. In the mistaken idea that so long as I didn't buy it in pink, I could disguise what I was making. When I got there, I made the mistake of liking the brown satin, I do think blue would have been a better disguise for a breast, as after I made it, I realised there were in fact a great number of brown breasts in the world, and whilst it wouldn't be mistaken for my breast it certainly bore a slight resemblence to others....

At best the result looks like a disabled fish (I told Matt I might draw eyes on so that people thought it was supposed to be that) at worse it looks like a deformed breast with tentacles.
*sigh* when will I learn.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Andrew said...

You forgot the most important part:
What does Xander think? Does he like it? Has it worked?

8:52 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ahahahahahaha!! You have to post a picture, I want to see if it looks like the one I conjured up in my mind when you described it. LOL!

10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home