.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

O&G - The sad truth

I don't mean to be negative, as a general rule I have never had any trouble getting along with nurses, but midwives are different. As with any profession, there are nice and nasty ones, but the ratio is slightly different to other nursing populations. It doesn't matter how much I don't interfere, how nice I am, it doesn't matter what I do at all - they hate me because I'm a doctor. I find the best way to make a job a happy job is to be able to get on with all the people you work with, the actual work is not necessarily as important as the people you work with. I think working in O&G is going to be an emotional roller coaster. Right from the beginning the staff misdirected and lied to me. Some of them are outright hostile, whilst some of them are a bit sneakier. Some of them are really quite nice if you treat them the right way, but there are less of them then there ought to be. Anyway...

The problem with my email self-corrected. One day my email just stopped downloading multiple copies. I'll never know what the problem was.

Today Matt and I planted more fennel and we planted garlic and leeks as well. Unfortunately all our various pea plants have developed a disease - their leaves look rusty. I'm quite worried for them. I will surf the net after this and find out what it is and how to cure it. I hope they don't die. Even the new ones have it:( Maybe because we use pea straw in the garden there was something in it that spread to our plants.

Nothing else to say right now. 11 weeks of O&G left (not including the one week in the middle that I work somewhere else)

11 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

I hope your peas get better! And that OandG does too!! Or at least one of the above happens :)

7:35 pm  
Blogger Jade said...

Its sad isn't it that the different work that everyone does cant live side by side, but must always seem to be in conflict...I have to be honest...being raised by an alternative mother Ive been a bit judgemental of doctors sometimes...I recieved a good dressing down from Tim about it actually...but have realised how silly this is...we all have our uses...

10:06 am  
Blogger marvin said...

that was very nice of your email to do that for you.
hopefully your peas will get better and you'll find lots of little peas in your pods.

12:34 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

I've met good and bad midwives, and sometimes it's just depended on what sort of mood i've been in. then again, there aren't *too* many nurses i can't work with (read "stand the sight of") and yet i'm contemplating micro...

lets face it - most doctors are stuffed in an obstetric ward coz the MW figure they know everything (yet, they call us when it gets too complciated???)

Chris - if you want to be a midwife, that's a good profession, and it's got good training in the UK apparently because you can do more there. Just respect doctors, and you and becky/i/bec/rachem will continue to get on nicely. :)

7:59 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Christine - If you think giving birth is beautiful and whatever, go for it. But be warned, I saw the midwife student - she had bruises over both her arms from the sudden gripping vice of the hands of women giving birth. Totally true.

Jade - I think all people like to be judged as individual's (actually I hate to be judged at all!). Not based on what people in the same profession as us have done etc. I guess that's why I should try not to be judging all midwives now based on my latest experience! You may find that in today's age of post-grad doctors, the flavour of doctors is changing. One of the women in my year of med was actually a homeopath (or however you spell it) wanting to expand the way she practiced her medicine by getting a medical degree! These days we don't call naturapaths and homeopaths etc "alternative medicine" - it's not PC, we call them "complimentary medicine" :) To be honest, my whole backup plan if I failed med was to buy a van, learn the guitar and become a hippy. It seemed like such a great way to live life!

9:42 pm  
Blogger Jade said...

Oh the super human strength of a woman giving birth...I remember throwing poor dean around as I was birthing Maxie...the midwife said "hold her down!" and Dean yelled "I'm trying!" and he's a muscley man! And hey, don't give up on the hippy in a van dream...it's a good one! I have that dream too...

10:54 pm  
Blogger Suze said...

On a totally different note....feel like a cuppa on Brunswick St, Fitzroy? I'm down tomorrow arvo until Monday, but especially free this week. I know I haven't written much, but would like to meet if you're up for it. Get my mobile number off Tim, via Jade, if it's not too much work. I don't feel like writing it down here, clearly too many ether psychos on the loose!!

10:55 pm  
Blogger Jade said...

My email is jadeosaurusrex@gmail if you'd like to get Suzes number...

1:31 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Cool - I will give you a sms soon, my mother-in-law is here this week, making it slightly more tricky, but it'd be fun to meet you:) Thanks for the number Jade:) Will send you an email, so you have my email address:)

8:46 pm  
Blogger Suze said...

'twas great to meet you Bec!! And at the Black Cat, my old haunt. So different but so the same - good ol' Melbourne. Maybe I'll move here..>>??

9:35 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

It was good to meet you too:) It is always so much fun meeting new people and hearing new stories and outlooks on life:) I think that's sometimes when I love my job the most, when I can really take the time to talk to a pt:)

10:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home