.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

I need advice

This is probably not a very good use of my blog, but I seriously need some advice. You see I'm not really a grown up. I don't really know how to do things like moving interstate. At the moment we're considering what to take and what not to take when we move to melboure (esp as it's just for 1 year). Currently I think the plan is to take _as little as possible_ and to try to drive everything else up ourselves (could be tricky). Does anyone think that's a realistic option? I have a twincab toyota hilux (NOT 4WD), with a covered back... DOn't know what would fit in. If we do that we'll have to find a place to rent with white goods in melbourne, or rent white goods. Not sure what we'd do about the bed... Does anyone have any good ideas? We spent our "moving to melbourne" money on a computer, so it needs to be as cheap as possible. Help if you can. Thanks.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sell the computer?

stay with a friend?

can you rent whitegoods easily? coz otherwise, maybe you can go freegan (was reading about it in a newspaper, i think)

5:09 pm  
Blogger marvin said...

i'm no grown up and i have never moved myself interstate, but i reckon you could make a list of all the things you simply could not live without, and estimate if they will fit in your car (hopefully they will so you can take them, you don't want to make multiple trips).
i'm sure you can find some quotes on whitegood rentals on the net, and check out ebay for cheap goods also, so you can pick them up when you get there (and sell when you leave), then you can estimate your expenses and compare that to moving your stuff down or having to store it for a year, then you've got something to start with... check out garage sales too when you get there, you can have your own sale when you leave again (that's sort of freegan too:)

6:29 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

They tried to put a G5 processor in a laptop - it melted. At the moment they just can't do it heatwise.. Yes, sorry must keep the computer, it is too pretty for words. When i look at my computer, I can forget that the rest of the house looks like burglars broke in and went through our things because it's such a mess, I can pretend it's all neat and pretty, like my computer... It's all too sad.

9:18 am  
Blogger timmar said...

Not 100% sure what you're trying to achieve. But when we moved from perth to Sydney, we paid a fortune in Movers (Allied Pickfords) so the next time we moved we looked at a cheaper alternative.

What we found was one way trailer rental. Rented 2 2 axle trailers (Mum and Dad both had 4wd's) and drove the majority of the goods up from Sydney to Brisbane in the cars/trailers. Cost ~$100 per trailer 12 odd years ago.

Became quite a cheap and easy move, perhaps this would be to your liking, the caged trailers let you take whitegoods, bed, desk and leave the car/ute for personal items.

Bec: Response made to your comment on my blog, would you mind looking and responding? thanks

11:51 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Muppit I don't know if I can manage it! I was going to leave just about everything I love in the world behind, but you know how it is with our kitchen!!! There are things that must come. But thanks to everyone for their advice. I think if I haven't left it too late I will hire a U-haul just for a few little extra things!

12:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home