.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Friday, March 03, 2006

End of Nights

I have survived a week of nights. Yay. I am happy to report I did not have to go to any scary births on my own that required me to resuscitate neonates. For which I am very very grateful! The truth is, that no matter how busy any night may not have been, to me it was a good night, because I have still not been required to use CPR. Isn't it funny how standards change. When I worked in a micro lab as a lowly lab assistant, and didn't really do anything that was remotely difficult or involving people's lives, the worse thing that could happen was a busy night. I used to hope and pray for rain, because people don't go to the doctor if it's raining. It's bizarre, but true. When it's raining people think "oh, I'd better stay at home, it's raining". Or at least they don't go and get swabs when it's raining. They also don't get swabs, give poo, wee, fingernail or sputum samplings on major holidays. It's a fact of life. However, now that I'm doing doctor stuff at a hospital, being busy is not the worse thing that can happen. People dying is (despite what Dr House might say!).

On the plus side, I was also not terribly busy most nights. I didn't actually sleep too much, but I have discovered the depths to which Tv sinks at 3am in the morning. It's low. Really low. You know how terrible our morning news-type shows are? The american ones are worse, much worse. Who knew that was even possible.

Anyway, I have just chased and killed a white-tail spider that was in the house. Normally I would be fairly opposed to the killing of a spider just because the spider existed. However white-tail spiders are renowned for biting people because the spiders wander around so much. Whilst it is debatable whether or not their reputation for bites causing necrotic ulcers is deserved. A bite is a bite, and I'd rather debate that debate theoretically, not by being bitten and seeing if it went necrotic. I guess the reason I was particularly not keen was because Cecil had a bite (not of human origin) on his shoulder last weekend. He didn't notice it, but I noticed the bite wound and the area of redness around it. Over the course of the week the erythema around the wound worsened into a single quotation mark shape with the round part of it being larger then a 50 cent coin. Even now there is still some redness but I am reassured that it is fading now and not growing worse. I know I had no proof that this particular spider was the culprit. But I haven't had a problem with spider bites before and these spiders are biters, and it was there and it seemed fair.

Anyway, last night I had no trouble falling asleep despite sleeping most of the day. But this evening I'm struggling a little bit. But i might go give it another whirl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home