.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Friday, February 10, 2006

1st week paediatrics

Well who knew I knew so little about children? Honestly I feel like I'm right back at the beginning. I look at them and I think where do I start? What should I do? I was peed on three times the other day by the bubs in the special care nursery. That took some of the cuteness factor out of them (they are kind of cute when they're so little that they're fairly quiet, until they pee on you).

All of this is not helped by the fact that I'm in a new hospital and a new state and the system is different. Different med charts, different obs charts, different path forms, different path system. Actually the only thing that is the same is the xray system.

We get called to all caesareans and instrument births and high risk births in case the bub needs resusc. I have to be supervised for my first three resusc's then I'm on my own. Scary.

I am too sleep to write too much. I know I haven't written much for awhile, I have been slack, but starting back at work is kind of tiring it turns out.

Hope everyone is well.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hug* neonatal resus's are scary.
have you had any training, or is it see one, do one, teach one? :|

5:11 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

i've just done a course in neonatal resus (in case someone delivers in miles) - have you read the book "neonatal resuscitation" by the american acad of peds? fairly straightforward and goes through things systematically. :)

11:43 pm  
Blogger Rach said...

baby's are scary. end of story. lol

4:32 pm  
Blogger appletopping said...

yeah, i could send em away, but there's still the possibility of a precipitate birth which would be a bummer. :S

1:56 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

they took us through how to check the equipment andmade sure we could bag a dummy baby... i had to hold a new one the other day and i was so scared i was gonna drop it on the floor!!!! so not sure how i'll go doing more then that!

11:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home