.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Friday, June 11, 2010

An unlikely turn of events

In an unlikely turn of events, I have started using cloth nappies. I used to talk to friends who were using them and secretly wonder if they'd all gone mad (sorry guys). I didn't believe them when they said it was no trouble. Then one day as I watched a mum changing her baby out of her MCN (modern cloth nappy) and put a new one on, something inside me clicked. I thought about what I'd been reading about toilet training, remembered conversations with Margie about toilet training from cloth versus disposable, and decided this was doable (maybe something to do with Xander having more solid poos now).

Of course, now I'm using all my self control to not buy tonnes of different awesomely cute cloth nappies (ie the bonnibuns hungry little catterpillar ones, how can I resist??). I have gone with a OSFM (one size fits most) AIO (all in one - ie the waterproof layer is part of the nappy), with a waterphobic material layer built in to sit next to the skin so bubs bottom isn't wet, from bonnibun. Oh, and the booster clips out for quick drying. Plus it has clips which I prefer to velcro. I just have workhorse nappies, I have been resisting the adorable ones. I am very happy with the choice. Bonny is a Gold Coast mum, so they're part of the local economy, the colours are cute, the fit is slim, the process is simple. I use a flushable liner, so I lift poos out (theoretically) and flush them down the toilet. I dry pail the nappies, and I wash every night, because I think it's less gross, and also I didn't buy a tonne of nappies. They just go in the washing machine, warm, less detergent, no softener. It really couldn't be easier. In fact, I find it less annoying then taking a bag of disposables out to the bin every day.

Matt was hard to convince, so we are still in a compromise pattern. Daycare provides their own disposables, so he still has disposables on those day, which means I really am at this point only doing cloth four days a week. I bought some different nappies for overnight, but because Xander is in one nappy for 12 hours at night, the boosting required and the wool outer layer (to allow the liquid to evaporate through rather then trapping it against his skin) mean that it's quite bulky. It worked, he had no leaks, but he did look a bit ridiculous toddling around like a pair at night and Matt didn't like the head down angle he ended being on when asleep in his cot (due to the layers making his bottom so high). So for now we are back in disposables at night (still the original stash left over from when we started cloth). We have talked about giving the night nappies another go, but it's still a compromise in progress. I basically don't want to buy any more disposables when this stash runs out. Matt's still not sure. I am trying not to be too obsessional and unflexible as then he will be offside and dislike the whole thing all together.

At any rate why I think cloth is better? Turns out MCN's not tricky. Less rubbish around the house (good for environment). Cuter, way cuter. toilet training is easier (my main reason, I'm keen for an early trained bub). Price, honestly, don't believe what you read, you don't need 20 nappies, you need 12, maybe a few night ones, if you wait for the right price, it really isn't that big an outlay, and definitely is better then disposables.

Anyway, my first patient awaits me, I suppose they are probably more important then blogging about my latest obsession!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi lovely! Wow, cloth nappies, you've convinced me to have another look at them. I'm a bit freaked out at the idea of more washing what with their being 6 of us here now, but I do stress about the environmental impact and its expensive too! xxx

9:41 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Jade, it really is easy, and cost effective! I totally, totally, totally recommend bonnibuns. If you become a fan on facebook, occasionally she just does random sales (the other day she sold 6 for $110 which is super cheap!). Don't believe what you read anywhere - you need 12 nappies at the most. I would get a separate brand for night nappies - best to get fitted with a wool cover.

8:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bec, if you're interested, my friend Tash makes cloth nappies

www.ilovecloth.blogspot.com

She's also on the southside. :-)

El

10:33 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

Agreed that you don't need as many as all the cloth nappy websites say- I think we have about 16 including 2 we keep in the car as spares when we're out. Bonnibuns must be one of the only brands we haven't tried, but I'll keep them in mind for when Setri grows out of the few sized nappies we bought. I second your preference for AIO and snaps instead of velcro- although I did give in to cute-nappy-impulse and buy a minilala in a fancy print... There's not a whole lot of point in fancy prints during winter when they're covered up with clothes!

8:27 pm  
Blogger Tat said...

Cloth nappies are addictive, aren't they? But if you can have some fun while changing nappies, then why not? I have lots of nappies. I couldn't do it with 12, but then I dont wash every day and I try not to use a dryer unless I am absolutely desparate. Good luck with it!

11:08 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

I do wash every day currently, but am increasing my stash so I can wash every second day. I've never put my nappies in the dryer so far. Sarah, that last day at the expo, nest nappies had a super special on bonnibuns - 3 for $50. Hope you got some then! If you can't resist the supercute, checkout bonnibuns fancybuns very hungry catterpillar ones....

2:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home