.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Call for Fingers


My fingers are too small. I need new ones. Does anyone have some they don't need? It's nothing personal against my itty-bitty useless fingers, but they're not quite good enough for the job I need them for. I'm there today trying to "bag and mask" which requires a one hand hold over the mask and the patients chin, and the other hand for the bag. So i've got my little finger under the angle of the jaw, my ring finger half way a long the jaw, and my middle finger holding their chin up. With these three fingers I'm supposed to keep these heavy headed unconscious' peoples head in a good position. My remaining two fingers are over the mask, trying to keep a perfect seal.... but my fingers are tiny and they're stretched as far as they can stretch to bridge all these gaps. This seems to sap them of strength, so that after a few minutes, the person's chin is sneaking back down towards their chest rather then held aloft, and I can hear the air "farting" between the persons chee
k and the mask. As you can clearly see, I have a good case for new fingers (I mean I thought the skin between the fingers was going to crack and the fingers spread further away from each other in their impossible effort to hold positions that are ridiculous for the small hand).

You may ask why I've bothered to tell you about my small finger dilemma at all... It's because I'M BORED OUT OF MY BRAIN! Where is everyone today!!! Normally I'd just go home, but I've got to meet some person I don't know at lunch, it won't be good if I don't turn up. Although I have this sudden fear, we said we'd meet at "lunchtime".... Seems pretty random, doesn't it? Hopefully I'll locate them....

Well the hunger calls, I must go off on a search of something a little more fulfilling then my mandarin.....


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had the same problem. :( they ended up getting the anaesthetic nurse to use the bag whilst i held the mask (& head) in place. :( then i intubated someone, and it was good until the tube fell out. :'( bad day. but the anaethetist put the tube in and said not to feel bad coz their trachea was way bigger than they'd thought, so the seal wasn't blown up enough... eh, piffle, i think they were just being nice...
but they signed my orange book. :D

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home