.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

pseudo heart attacks: Drama I

It all started last night. I was sitting at the table, trying to get the protector on my pda (which is irrelevent to the story except that because I was interrupted, it now has bubbles between it and the screen which means the stylus doesn't run smoothly on the screen anymore). When my mother called me (with a most serious face) to her bedroom. Where dad was lying on the bed clutching his chest and saying it hurts. I looked at them and said "why don't you just call an ambulance - that's why you pay the levy" (in fact that's why they pay it about 10 times, because now that the ambulance levy comes with your electricity bill my parents pay it on their home bill and all their business bills - I mean really they should be able to get special sponsorship signs to put up "QAS - we give, because we believe" even though they give because they have no choice because the queensland government has created a practically illegal tax). Once I convinced them to call the ambulance, I launched into the "heart pain" speal:

me: How much does it hurt
dad: a lot
me: scale of 1-10
Dad: it's up there
me: where is the pain
dad: (general hand gesture including his whole chest and abdomen) here
me: (silent groan) does it radiate anywhere
dad: no
me: what's the pain like?
dad: it hurts
me: (teeth grinding) is it sharp, burning, crushing, dull etc?
dad: it really just hurts a lot
me: have you ever had a pain like this before
dad: no
me: (I suddenly notice he's a bit protective of his stomach - like it'd hurt to touch - I feel suspicious) - Are you sure it's not burning, up into your throat, did you eat anything tonight (i'm thinking this is epigastric)
dad: no
me: does anything make it better or worse?
dad: no, it just hurts
(insert siren, then the sound of ambos coming up the stairs)
dad: It's going away, I'm starting to feel better
me: so how long has it lasted then?
dad: about 30 minutes (i myself have only been there for 10 minutes, and I did have a little feel of his totally fine pulse in that time)

Then the ambos did his BP, three lead ECG, felt his pulse, had a chat. Said probably epigastric.

My DDx (differential diagnosis):
ulcers
diverticulitis (last colonoscopy says he has it)
pancreas
panic attack (told me he thought he was dying, Kj said that about 8 years ago, he thought he was having a heart attack, and it was a panic attack, probably doesn't really account for the pain, but you should always put psychogenic as part of a DDx).

In fact I was actually much relieved when I came into the room and he was having chest pains. Because I somehow knew, I was being called in as a medical person. The only health problem I know dad has at the moment - inguinal hernia. And so I was thinking "this better not be about that, because I'm not looking at it, I just won't!!!"
So when it wasn't that, I sighed in relief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home