.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Discrimination

For the first time ever the other day I felt discriminated against for being a female. Well more specifically for being a pregnant female. A part-time job I was sort of semi-applying for rejected me on the basis of wanting to train someone who would be able to be with them consistently over the next 2-3 years. I know I should be completely outraged or something, but it seemed like a fair call - I will be taking 2-3 months off in just a few months. Even though I personally don't have a problem with it, it was kind of disappointing to miss out on something _already_ because of little Stripy!

5 Comments:

Blogger pitfinder said...

Sometimes I wonder if Western culture has gotten a little out of whack. You're about to contribute to the continuation of humanity, the survival of the species. Without that, what matters all the rest? I don't think Moms should ever be less than proud.




sevinti
Sounds kind of Italian.
Oh, I think a 'whoritto' might be something you can get for the right price in Tihajuanna. After dark. :-)

12:19 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hmmm, I can see it from both sides, but it's still illegal. And besides, goodness knows how many places discriminate in this fashion and miss out on potentially great, dedicated employees as a result...

3:29 pm  
Blogger Margie said...

I'm shocked they were so blatant about it, given, as Sarah points out, it's outright illegal. It also seems, on a business level, incredibly short sighted to be thinking only of the next year and not what you'd bring to the role longer term. Poor form!

7:57 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

It was a surgical assist job so in all fairness a trained monkey could do it - they just want a monkey that does it their way consistently. But apart from stimulating conversation there is not a lot to bring to the job. And it was sort of an email interview. The funny part is the surgeon has two children herself which she pointed out - so surely she must realize women to come back to work after babies. I'm just sad because it'd be nice to do a mindless job on my not gp days that paid so reasonably.

11:05 pm  
Blogger Dz said...

Wow!
I'm gone for a bit and there are so many great news!Congrats honey!!!!
On the being pregnant I mean:)
As to the job thing, as illegal as it is mangers always choose, sometimes on preference sometimes because we are female or sometimes not. I don't agree with it but i can see the point, I mean it used to suck when I'd hire people and find out they were pregnant and would be gone just when I got them trained and need them the most...than too you can't really fill the position while they are gone. On the bright side those girls turned out to be one of my best workers most of the time. I guess it's a trade off, kind of a gamble if they are willing to take it.Either way I am sooooo happy for you being pregnant, things do have a way of working out something else will come your way.

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home