.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

long time, no post

Well it's been a while. I did 10 weeks in psych down at redlands. I didn't mind it, reasonably healthy patients, and I only had to use my duress alarm once, and it wasn't for anything to horrific. I came out pretty unscathed, although what some of the patients have been through and have to face is pretty awful. I didn't much enjoy the 14 hour ward call shifts, but that's life. I'm not sure I'd be too keen to be a medical patient at redlands, but the psych ward's pretty good.

I'm now on breast and endocrine, it's my general surg term. I'm pretty convince that breasts are merely cancer incubators, but I guess I'm seeing a pretty skewed population. I think the worst thing for these women is that most of them seem to know someone who has died of breast cancer, so the very thought of having it is terrifyingly awful.

Recently I have been thinking a lot of Indonesia and all the things I saw and experienced there. I wish I could go back and see how Banda Aceh is rebuilding itself and how the people are managing the awful trauma they have been through. I almost feel like there has been so many natural disasters this year that we quickly abandoned the last and moved on.

Banda Aceh
How are you my foreign friend
I met you when you were bruised and broken
I put a bandaid on a tiny cut
All I could do
While you haemorraged
And moaned and swooned
Under the weight of your brokenness
How I wish I could return to your shores
To see if your scars are healing
To put my finger on your pulse
And know you are living
To see the secrets of your mind
To see your tomorrow
***********************

2 Comments:

Blogger timmar said...

I don't usually bother blog browsing, but I'm currently in a state of omnipresent boredom, and decided to look through the fellow Brisbanites.

As an undergrad looking to do med, i was drawn to your blog, and filled in some time reading through your plethora of tales :>

It was interesting to get a more personal view on the small parts of med school you covered.

Psych can be terrible for some people, so glad to hear you got through it unscathed. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Tim

12:32 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

davey, have you posted any posts on your blog? because I couldn't see any... made it difficult to go there and reply - but thanks:)

10:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home