.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

earthkissed

Just me and my thoughts, most of them silly.

Name:
Location: brisbane, queensland, Australia

I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a friend. Sometimes I am good at these things, sometimes I am not.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Shopaholic

How I became a shopaholic
#1 Get Pregnant
#2 Stop work
#3 Have super cute baby, hate housework, must travel, spend all time at shops
#4 Have iphone, spend rest of time surfing internet looking at cool things
#5 Join mother's group, find out about lots more cool things

Things i recommend:
1. Best baby carrier of all time (in my opinion) --> Maya wrap. This is a ring sling. All ring slings are not equal. I thought it was ridiculous that people thought that the material would make that much difference. It does. I looked at others, I bought the maya wrap over the internet, the handwoven cotton, nice and breezy, lovely. So superversatile, easy to use. I sold the first sling (peanut shell) I bought on ebay. It was not for me. Ring sling can be used all the way to toddler. Now that my baby is heavier, I'll admit, I use it for shorter carrying trips, and use my second favourite baby carrier (The catbird baby pikkolo) for longer trips.
2. THe catbird baby carrier pikkolo baby carrier. Are you detecting a pattern? Yes, I think carrying babies is an easy way to go. I find carrying him makes getting things done easier (Plus i can breastfeed in both these carriers which means I can breastfeed while I shop - got congratulated for breastfeeding in public the other day as this woman said she'd had people get up her for it - really? In this day and age!!! I'd have a field day if anyone tried that on me). THe pikkolo is a bit like an ergo, but less evil big company, doing ridiculous patenting tricks on things they didn't event. It also is simpler, less bulky, and more versatile (does inward and outward carry, back carry, front carry, hip carry). Comes in funkier patterns also. I have spent hours on the internet researching baby carriers. Hours. Hours and hours. I wanted them all.
3. Arms Reach Cosleeper. I couldn't sleep Xander actually in my bed, I would accidently roll over and smother him. But the cosleeper bassinet (I got the mini which is still nice size) attaches to the edge of our bed, and when he was little he slept right there beside me and all I had to do was roll over pick him up, feed him, roll over and put him back down again. Yay...
4. Australian Breastfeeding Association membership. I thought I was being a bit silly, but it's come in handy, and the book I got with it has heaps of things about expressing and etc that now that I'm back at work and expressing breast milk for Xander has been really handy.
5. My Avent breast pump. THe manual avant is brilliant, and the dual electric breast pump is also. I have now tried a different brand double electric breast pump, and am really happy with my choice. (which I ought to be as I did spend four hours on the interner researching it). Works really well. Is a closed system. Has enough suction. Fantastic.
6. Despite the baby carriers, the next one is my pram. Bugaboo Bee. Light (<8kg), narrow, one step fold, birth - toddler, wheels run so smooth, brilliant one handed steering, coffee cup holder.
7. to be able to put baby down when they are little it's good to have a swing chair and a playmat that has lights and music that activate when baby kicks. trust me!

Now we're moving into less important territory:
nappy bag - a whole new world easy change bag (cheapest from bambini pronto when on sale)
super cool family cushions (strawberry jam designs)
tripp trapp high chair (but buying all the baby bits separate a big money suck)
bubbamat for our tiled area (money suck)
glider chair (valco) - a little luxury for mamma
smartmom teething jewelry - actually that really is awesome
safe n sound compaq delux car seat. as recommended by choice
breast milk trays from aba store to freeze breast milk in
the lamaze moose
peter rabbit comforter toy
dvds to watch whilst breast feeding and recovering from emergency c-section
kiddy cot 3 in 1 playpen

what I am currently resisting:
avent combined steamer blender... WIll I make it? can I resist?

But it is my baby I love! Not the shopping. I just can't seem to help myself!!! But I'm stopping now. I really am. have everything I could possibly need (except an avent combined steamer/blender)

I will post photos soon, but xander is crying for a feed now.

EDIT ALERT:
How could I forget my kinderkot? the truly portable cot/tent so easy to put up an down.
Also my bambinoOz. My portable high chair device.

3 Comments:

Blogger elizabeth said...

Yay! I've been waiting for you to come back so I can procrastinate :)
I love Xander too, he is awesome.

8:25 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

I was thinking of getting an Arm's Reach co-sleeper but couldn't find the bigger one... was worried about the bassinet getting too small too quickly... did you get yours through that ABA-related website, or retail?

Oh and if you haven't been harassed by some despicable prude or nutbar for breastfeeding in public, count yourself lucky... a huge proportion of the Sudanese women I interviewed for my honours project last year said they'd been subjected to everything from overt disapproval/criticism to what amounted to criminal harassment from complete strangers. Australia is still a very hostile environment for breastfeeding mothers.

5:15 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Sarah, I wrote a long email in reply as I wasn't sure if tormenting everyone here with it was a good idea.... Although people can choose just not to read. Hope you got th email, if you didn't I will have to post it after all.

6:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home